Tuesday, July 17, 2007

 

Why I started and continue to blog

Several years ago (1998-99) our son, Phil, left home for a year-long internship with a youth ministry that we were involved with and supported in many ways. During that year he told us about his "blog," which was my first real exposure to them. I could read what he was thinking, as well as link to the blogs of his friends. I got to know his friends this way, and it was a fun connection to his life away from home.

Our daughter, Liz, has a regular blog that she's written for several years. She's the prolific writer in our family. Although she doesn't treat her blog as a private journal, sometimes she relates the day's events. Other times she takes positions on important issues, or rants of how she is offended by rude people, or how much she loves pro cycling.

A while back, I started my own blog, and it was mostly to keep up with my kids who wrote and recorded their thoughts and the events in their lives. I never intended to be a sounding board of my personal life to those who have no connection to my life. Although I write on the internet, I do this to talk about things that are important to me, not to invade others' lives or try to hurt them.

Through the years, I've read other blogs, and like I have mentioned, it has helped me to learn about people and what others think. Many of the things I read are very personal, while others are political or commentaries on life in general. The most interesting ones were the ones that revealed inner thoughts. Sometimes I have commented on others blogs, sometimes I've e-mailed directly.

Concerning my family, I am married to a man I have loved for many years. He has been a follower of Christ, as have I, for all of our adult lives. I am proud to say that all of our kids are intelligent, thinking Christians, who care deeply about their faith and their fellow believers. When others have invaded our lives with rumors, we have always seen fit to ignore them and turned to one another and to God. I will not discontinue my entries (even though I sometimes lag a bit and don't write!) or try to hide anything about my life. I'll just blog.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?