Monday, January 21, 2008

 

Cowries and Snakes

Our friends, Tim & Cindy, who visited from Indiana didn't get to have as warm a vacation as I had hoped, but there was an occasional break in the clouds. It was enough to cast a shadow once in a while, lay by the pool and relax, and to walk on the beach while wearing our COATS! It was also enough to bring out this lovely creature (some might disagree) who slithered across the road in front of my golf cart:




You can guage the size of this guy by checking out the electrical box in the 2nd shot. I tried to get a video but was too awed by seeing the thing.


This morning was to be an especially low tide (tomorrow is the full moon) so even though it was in the 40s when I woke up, and despite my lingering (and leaving) cold, I layered my clothes and walked to the beach. Surprisingly there were not many shells - at least not up to my collection standards - and I mainly walked and was enjoying the beautiful morning.

A Minnesota couple were at the north end of the island, and I was more interested in chatting with them than the shells. Nice folks, and they were finding cool shells. I took a turn from the high tide line of shells toward the water's edge - and WOW! Right there was this beautiful COWRIE SHELL! The Minnesota people had been there since SUN UP! And they had not seen this amazing shell. I was so excited! Oh wow! Oh wow! I showed them, they were impressed. I was thrilled.


This is the 2nd time I've found a cowrie - totally surprised both times - and in almost the exact same spot. This one today is slightly smaller but in better condition than the one I found last year. It is definitely going in the glass case.

Labels: ,




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?