Tuesday, April 03, 2007

 

Sara - like she won the lottery, but different

You may remember that I have posted before about Sara and dentistry? (see Dec.7, 2006) It happens that I've already begun with a new dentist and I recently had a new crown, first the temp, and yesterday, the permanent. I needed my regular cleaning (I've always preached 6-month cleanings/check-ups) and there was an opening today. As I scheduled that, I asked about an unusual "thing" in Sara's mouth...

A while back Sara told me if felt like she was getting a new tooth. "No," I told her, "you've had your wisdom teeth out. That's all there are." But yesterday she insisted, "Mom, feel this! It feels like I have a new tooth - and it is through the gum." So, like feeling inside a baby's mouth, I stuck in my finger. "Sara, that is a tooth."

So, I asked the dental hygenist, "Can a person get another molar after the wisdom teeth are removed?" And she answered, "No." Then Dr. Tom stuck his head in the room, and he said it might be, "a part of a bone, or a fraction of the tooth that broke off." And they made room for Sara to come with me.

Upon x-ray, Dr. Tom had a new diagnosis: Sara has another upper molar - a "#4 molar." And not only that, she has one on each side. He said he has seen it, but it is rare. Kind of like winning the lottery. ha!

Google and wikipedia both have some information, but it's mostly case studies and case histories that are pretty boring to read. The condition is called supernumerary molars - with statistics that are around 1% of the population having some, and the fourth molars are the 2nd most frequently-occurring supernumerary teeth (so, around 1% have some type of extra teeth, and Sara's kind are more rare than say, other extra types). Not only does she have ONE, she has TWO! Aside from this, Dr. Tom said, "She really does have beautiful teeth."

Too bad she didn't win the lottery. I've already paid to have the wisdom teeth out, now there are two more!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?