Saturday, April 07, 2007

 

Easter grass

Today I shopped for Easter grass. Granted, all my "kids" are over 21, and I have just one granddaughter, Arya, who is 1. She is too young to even know what grass is, much less the shredded plastic we call, "Easter grass." And I suppose there will come a time when I no longer fill baskets for everyone, but it's tradition and I'll continue to follow through with it. Today I had to find Easter grass.

So, yes, I said that Easter grass is shredded plastic, but it's not that simple any more. I've also seen crimped paper that's called Easter grass. You can use tissue paper, and I've been known to save the cellophane kind from year to year, but sometime in the past year I got bold and threw it all away, meaning today, at the last minute, I had to go buy new plastic Easter grass. It was nowhere - not in the cheap kind I wanted. Target had a BUNCH of Easter grass, and it was all WOOD! Granted no one was buying it, and the cheap stuff was nowhere to be found.

It reminded me of when I was a little girl, and my mom told us that they had Easter baskets, but they didn't use store-bought grass, but REAL, spring-green, growing GRASS! This had sounded like such a fun idea that my siblings and I went out and filled our traditional, kept-every-year kind of Easter baskets. Unfortunately, in the morning it melted all of our sugar eggs - I guess Mom only had boiled eggs that didn't melt in the natural grass!

This year, our Easter bunny will have to use what I could find, which was the crimped paper from the gift-wrap section.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?