Friday, November 19, 2004

 

about the knitting...and the yarn

This subject should be addressed, since I included it in my blog name. It could be called a passion, but my kids call it an obsession. I think it is somewhere in between those two things.

I LOVE the textures of yarn, ribbon, even heavy threads, anything stringy enough to be wrapped around a knitting needle or a crochet hook. It may be the "hook" that gets me most involved. I like the loops, the repetition, the pattern of the yarn as it makes "things." I like to try out new yarn, new patterns. If I don't like it, I like to quit and move on to something that pleases me more. Sometimes, just sometimes, I may have gotten a bit carried away with buying the yarn, then I find I don't like it as well, and it sits - and sits. And it fills up bags, boxes, storage containers, bigger bags, boxes, baskets, and eventually rooms. So it may appear that I have enough, or at least, a lot. But really the only important yarn is the yarn I have in my hands. The other stuff has to wait their turn.

This week, my dad told me that an aunt of mine asked for my mom's old yarn. (not a close aunt, not my mom's sister) My mom managed to collect quite a stash of her own, and Mom passed away 3 years ago. Dad gave me this yarn, and I've stored all but one plastic box of it in my house in the "yarn room". I was so glad that he asked me about the remaining box, as he was going to give it to Aunt Louise. I had to tell Dad that I feel rather protective of this old yarn, that I do want it. In that box there at his house, there's part of a sweater I made in the 6th grade! I could not give that up, especially since Mom saved it all those years! There's also a "granny square" afghan that had to be made by my Grandma Carrie. And part of a rose colored afghan - like the others that Mom DID complete. No, DON'T give the yarn to my Aunt! And I don't care if I never get to it - I just want it. I just may find the pieces from that unfinished sweater and put it together - after all, Lilly is already a size 4T or so. She might fit it ...in a few years.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?